Hello SFD Community!
While man made plastics have greatly expanded technological and consumer goods, it is undeniable that society throws away too much plastic. Finding ways to recycle plastic bottles at home can greatly improve the environment.
Once recycled, most of these plastic containers can be turned into completely new products, including plastic food containers, tote bags, clothing, furniture, composite lumber, benches, carpet, pipes, pet homes, tables, and even fencing.
Here are 10 ways to reuse plastic bottles at home –
- Food Container – Use two plastic bottles of different sizes: a longer one (to be the base) and a smaller one (to be the cover) and fit them together. Use these containers to store food such as rice, beans, noodles and sugar.
- Watering cans – You only need to make some holes on the cap using a nail and a hammer. The easiest and the most convenient way to water the plants.
- Desk Organizer – Cut the lower part of the bottles and use them as desk organizers for your offices or homes. Use your creativity and make them in different sizes and very colourful.
- Bird´s Feeder – If you live in an area that has many birds, a strategically placed DIY recycled bird feeder will allow you to view the pretty feathered creatures up close and personal. Taking just a little time and very little money, you can make one out of materials you might have otherwise thrown away – a plastic bottle and a couple of wooden spoons. Make small holes and insert the spoons by the cable side. Fill the bottle with bird’s food and let it slip in the spoon. Now the only part left is to hang the feeder in a tree and wait for the birds.
- Snack Bowls – The bottom part of plastic bottles can be perfectly used as snack bowls. Cut the bottom part of the bottle. Use it to put small snacks as peanuts, almonds or chips.
- Magazine Organizer – Cut the upper part of some plastic bottles and nail them in a wooden board. In offices this idea can work as a mail organizer or a newspaper organizer.
- Candle holder – Transform an empty plastic bottle into a creative candle holder. Cut off the top portion of the plastic bottle with a craft knife. Fill the bottom of the bottle with sand, pebbles, shells or gemstones. Light a candle in your personalized candle holder.
- Flower Vase – Create a flower vase from a plastic bottle. Remove the top portion of the bottle with a craft knife and wrap the remaining portion of the bottle with paper, using glue to secure it in place. Either use decorative paper or use white paper and decorate it with markers, stickers, gemstones, and other craft supplies. Fill the bottle with water and place a bouquet of flowers inside.
- Pencil Cup – Make a storage system for your mountain of pens, pencils and markers on your desk. Measure the height you wish your container to be, and mark it on the bottle. Cut the top of the bottle off at this mark. Decorate the bottle with stickers or craft supplies, if you would like to personalize your pencil cup.
- Piggy Bottle Bank – Not only does this simple project recycle a plastic bottle and make an adorable piggy bank, but it also encourages kids to start saving and recycling from a young age. Just cut the bottle appropriately and then have fun creating super cute designs that will look great on your shelves too. Not only is this object functional, but the design is also simple enough that your child can help you finish it.
Recycling plastic items is extremely important for our environment. It helps to reduce waste and can help save your family money. By using these recycling and reusing strategies, you will feel good about doing your part to reduce the creation of landfills, increase the quality of our air, and have fun using creative ways to make some of your own products in the comfort of your home!